[c-nsp] Best practice for deploying Palo Alto Networks' firewalls?

Brad McGinn bmcginn at thiess.com.au
Fri May 17 01:14:27 EDT 2013

The v-wire function works just as they say.  It literally seems to work just as a wire.  If the box fails, you can have it fail open or block.  Each interface still needs a zone though and it understands etherchannel too.

It's worth putting that v-wire into a separate v system though as the policy for a pass through can mess with the other policies you may have on the box (eg putting a virtual wire on two interfaces and using the layer 3 way on other interfaces).

Having said that, the 5050 is a pretty chunky box and should be able to handle a load of OSPF calculations fine; but that of course depends on how much traffic and OSPF calculations you expect to do.  From what I know, it also has trouble with OSPF reference bandwidth; certainly we've not been able to adjust the reference bandwidth in the palo's so if you're running 10G as a reference bandwidth in the cisco kit the palo's probably won't be able to do it; leaving you with different OSPF instances and redistribution I guess.  The Palo code we're on is 5.01

I've heard that on some smaller Palo's that if OSPF is hogging the CPU it really impacts on simple access to the device..  so if you're going to be pushing it a lot of traffic and OSPF operations it is not a good spot to be in between core and dist!

The palo's however are really good devices and the policy enforcement and functionality is up there with the best I think.

My advice would be to use the v-wire, it takes complexity away while still leaving you with the ability to enforce layer 7 policy in hardware..

Brad