[c-nsp] Cisco2921 vs 7206VXR/NPE-400

cnsp at marenda.net cnsp at marenda.net
Mon Nov 11 14:18:14 EST 2013

Hi,

I would tend to use the compact two power-supply 7201,
instead of putting an (equal expensive) NPE-G2 into and old
Chassis, but isn't all that hardware EOL ?

NPE-G1 _was_ fine until they started to die one-by-one
out of the blue.

Had seen 2821 with just 3 BGP sessions, everything very slow,
3825/45 are much faster;
so with current (lower-cost) Cisco Routers
i think an 3925 would perform much better than an 2921 and be worth it
(but currently not tested myself).
Hmm looking at the datashit, the 3925-E would be the choice.

While marketing Material says ISR-2 29xx WAN up to 75 MBps,
They write for the ISR-2 39xx WAN up to 350 MBps.
So the choice will be clear on the 39xx side,
Even no fancy-advanced-firewall-filter-whateverelse Features are used.

OK, a much better fitting replacement for 7206VXR is the ASR1002-X ...

Just my 0.01 $,

Juergen.