[c-nsp] Third party transceivers that fail only with new, NX-OS 6.2.2a on sup-2E

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Tue Nov 19 17:57:10 EST 2013

On 11/19/2013 5:51 PM, Tim Durack wrote:
> Second that. The more people buy 3rd party (coded if you want) the better.
> Vendors only listen to sales.

+1 to that.  We recently ran across some 3rd-party CODED DOM-supporting
optics that have worked (thus far) in both Ciscos and Brocades.  When
you can issue a "show int trans" and get results from 3rd-parties while
Ciscos remain silent, it speaks volumes :)

We still keep branded spares for any surprise issues.  But I don't think
we would have enough to survive a "software upgrade enforced"
transceiver refusal such as the one being discussed... so I remain
skeptical, and disgruntled over the whole branded issue.

Could you imagine if you could stick a vendor PROM in an ethernet
cable?  We don't tolerate such silliness with any other interfaces...

Jeff