[c-nsp] Peering between route reflectors

Cydon Satyr cydonsatyr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:21:29 EDT 2014

@JC Cockburn

Why not is always an interesting question!

I don't think there's any difference in terms of functionality. It's just
that I've seen most engineers automatically put down peering between two
RR, without explanation or clue why. Given how powerful single RR boxes are
today there isn't any good reason to say one way is better than the other,
IMHO. You save some memory from not having routes reflected from other RR,
which may or may not be important.

In fact I was looking at how would a design look like where you have 4
POPs, 3 would have 2 RR, last POP only one RR. None of RR are in forwarding
path. I created four clusters  - each with two RR, except last POP cluster
with only one RR (at the moment). There would be full mesh between POPs,
but no peering between two RR is same cluster, which made sense to me.

Hence, I got to ask the question I originally asked - why should two RR
mutually peer at all, given certain conditions - all clients peer with both
of them and RR are not in forwarding path.

Regards