[c-nsp] Galvanic isolation for Ethernet?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Aug 18 10:59:32 EDT 2014

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> > > http://datainterfaces.com/surge-protectors.aspx
> >
> > They do not seem to offer galvanic isolation, I think they use gas
> > discharge modules. How do I know they are any better than those we
> > already have (APC ProtectNet)?
>
> I dont. they are a choice thats out there

The choice is really big, Google gives many vendors and a wide range
of models of Ethernet protectors.

> - and define your 'galvanic isolation' ;-)

Well, er, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_isolation ;-)
There are many methods, optical is one of them. What kind of optical
isolation devices do you use?

When I worked as a sound operator many years ago we used the
transformer method a lot. In fact, our mixing consoles had symmetric
transformer inputs. But I digress.

> > You are not advising them from your own experience, are you?
>
> nope. I havent used them as we have optical isolation (I feel I am
> now repeating myself)   BUT if anyone has used them or if you try
> one out then please come back with your experience of it.

My experience so far is that the current model we use does not really
protect. I will report later which model is that. The location where
the last switch died is remote and normally unmanned.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru