[c-nsp] RAM thing

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 17 07:24:29 EST 2014

On 16/02/14 22:47, Tony wrote:

> At least some information on failure rates might be a bit more helpful
> in planning (ie. 1/10000 - you just got unlucky or 1/10 and you need to
> definitely plan for a hardware failure to happen each time you reboot
> the box). It kinda makes upgrading due to bug/security fixes a little
> more fraught with danger as the box may never come back after the reboot...

While I agree more info on failure rate would be helpful, it's worth
noting that the chance of failure has not suddenly gone up, just because
Cisco has announced it - this issue has been extant since 2005.

So nothing has changed except we know about it. For anyone who assumed
devices could fail at any time, this isn't *that* worrying. For anyone
who assumed devices would run forever, this should be a wake-up call -
it was never true, and will likely never be so ;o)