[c-nsp] Questions regarding 6PE and route aggregation

Spyros Kakaroukas skakaroukas at rolaware.com
Tue Feb 25 14:55:16 EST 2014

Greetings,

I’ve been trying to evaluate 6PE as a transition mechanism lately and I’ve stumbled upon something I didn’t initially expert. My understanding of 6PE is as follows ( and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong ☺ ) : PE-A and PE-B peer over IPv4, they exchange routes and labels. Packets transit the core over ipv4 and have 2 labels; outer label describes the LSP towards the remote PE while the inner label describes the actual IPv6 next hop ( “CE” or whatever you want to call it ). Label allocation is per-prefix ( unless you switch to 6VPE, where you can actually change it, with all the consequences that follow ). So, I’ve been thinking, what if I don’t want to send the full table to some PEs, but only internal routes and a default route ? Internal routes obviously shouldn’t pose an issue, but aggregating everything to the default is somewhat trickier. So, I fired up my lab, got an ebgp session with an upstream and…here’s what happened:

Scenario A, get a default route from an upstream and advertise it downstream while suppressing all other external routes: Everything works fine. Would it work fine with >1 upstream though, or would I get suboptimal routing, as the PE with the full table would just perform a lookup on the inner label ( which would correlate to whatever single default route was preferred from upstreams ) ?

Scenario B, no default route from upstreams. Just generating one towards downstreams with default-information originate: Control plane looks ok , data plane just fails!

Scenario C, same as scenario B apart from the addition of a static default to Null0 on the PE originating the default route: Surprisingly, it works. Is it supposed to work though ? If so, should I assume it’s doing 2 lookups ( one of the label and one for the actual prefix ) with all the performance implication this carries ?

Also, any advise on how you tackled similar issues would be greatly appreciated. Assuming scenario C is a valid design, it feels kinda wasteful. I could use 6PE only on nodes that can handle a full table and dual-stack the rest, but that’s not really far from foregoing 6PE altogether and dual-stacking everything ( which may or may not be a “good thing”, depending on whether/when we see LDP/TE/etc over IPv6 ).

My thoughts and words are my own.

Kind Regards,

Spyros

This e-mail and any attachment(s) contained within are confidential and are intended only for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed. The information contained in this communication may be privileged, or exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the communication without retaining any copies. Rolaware Hellas SA is not responsible for, nor endorses, any opinion, recommendation, conclusion, solicitation, offer or agreement or any information contained in this communication.