[c-nsp] Reply:R: mpls forwarding and ip forwarding

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Thu Feb 27 03:12:26 EST 2014

Hi,

What Brian hinted to is how we do it in our network. MPLS is only used for EoMPLS/VPLS traffic,
the rest is routed via "normal" IP. We have dedicated /32s Loopbacks for the EoMPLS/VPLS endpoints
and only traffic to those /32s are labeled and MPLS switched.

example config for /32 MPLS loopbacks out of 10.0.255.0/24:

configuration for all backbone routers:

access-list 1 permit 10.0.255.0 0.0.0.255
no mpls ldp advertise-labels
mpls ldp advertise-labels for 1 ! only advertise labels for addresses contained in ACL 1
mpls label protocol ldp

additional loopback on edge routers where the EoMPLS/VPLS circuits terminate, e.g.:

interface Loopback1
   description MPLS loopback
   ip address 10.0.255.10 255.255.255.255
mpls ldp router-id Loopback1 force