[c-nsp] rate limit dns

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Jan 2 21:30:48 EST 2014

On Jan 3, 2014, at 12:32 AM, Eugeniu Patrascu <eugen at imacandi.net> wrote:

> With modern machines (from a few years back) you can track a lot of connections effortlessly.

I think you don't understand the scale of even small DDoS attacks in terms of state-tracking.

Stateful devices put in front of servers which are then DDoSed go down, taking down everything behind those stateful devices.  I've seen 3mb/sec of spoofed SYN-flood take down a 20gb/sec stateful firewall; I've seen 10kpps of HOIC take down a 10gb/sec load-balancer.

This isn't theoretical or speculative.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton