[c-nsp] Divide large PVST domain?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Jul 8 05:09:06 EDT 2014

Colleagues,

I have a train of about 20 C3560X switches connected successively.
I know such a diameter is not good for STP, however, when I place the
root bridge in the middle of the train, PVST still works more or
less reliably.

However, if I wanted to divide this single STP domain into several
smaller ones, which way is best?

I can define three geographical areas between which no loop is
physically possible and which cannot have any redundant links between
one another.

Should I just configure a bpdufilter on the border switches to
separate the areas, or is there a smarter way, maybe going for MST
instead of PVST?

Thanks in advance for any input.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN