[c-nsp] Divide large PVST domain?

Andriy Bilous andriy.bilous at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 07:28:20 EDT 2014

In most of the cases you won't notice any disruptions as long as your
(copper/fibre) links are up and running. STP timers are overly pessimistic
regarding propagation delay for the worst case when you need to communicate
topology change from the furthest right bridge to the furthest left in the
slowest possible medium. They're utterly optimistic about processing delay
though - it's easy to clog CPU effectively disabling BPDUs processing and
forwarding plane will happily switch frames based on outdated state. Your
radio links don't make it easier. I'd recommend you to switch to rapid
PVST+ at least which as previously mentioned doesn't care about diameter as
it doesn't rely on root bridge for topology changes notification.