[c-nsp] 6500 redundant supervisors and non-NFS aware RIP

Jeffrey G. Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Mon Jul 14 10:38:30 EDT 2014

We are planning on installing a second supervisor in one of our border 6500Es thats connects to our 3 ISPs.

The systems runs both BGP for ISP peering and RIP for internal routing to core.

The sup is a 720-10G with VS-F6K-PFC3CXL running 122-33.SXJ5

Q1 Since BGP is NFS aware but only after the second SUP is installed, will BGP peering stop and restart?

We see that two of our ISP are currently sending GRACEFUL RESTART messages but our end is not yet because no secondary sup.

Q2 What happens with the RIP routes?

We know we have to move to OSPF, but thats another day;  Soon I hope.

We are trying to understand how long this system might be down and have testing redundant sups in lab, but thats never really the same.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff FItzwater
OIT Network Systems
Princeton University