[c-nsp] UDLD enabling port prematurely?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Jul 17 08:56:14 EDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-17 at 13:07 +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> Is UDLD useful? Shouldn't ethernet autonego handle unidirectional
> links natively via down-side asserting RFI, which should make
> up-side go down?

UDLD is useful to use in the places where we use EoMPLS port-mode
transport through the core. Each end-point does its autoneg with the
closest PE so autoneg won't help us. (It's typically PFC3B EoMPLS and at
least our IOS versions support no link-poisoning.)

> I guess if it's ethernet link over some radio or something, where
> autenego isn't end-to-end, it might plausibly be useful, but
> generally?

L2 transport services seem to make UDLD useful "generally". :-)

--
Peter