[c-nsp] Affect of flow control on congestion management

redscorpion69 redscorpion69 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:28:07 EDT 2014

Hello.

This is not specifically tied to one or other device, but I think an
interesting question, so I'd appreciate if someone form here could shed
some light on this matter.

Basically, we have a situation where our edge switch has a Gb downlink, and
should perform shaping with LLQ inside it for proper class traffic and
congestion management.

Let's say that the shaping needs to be at 100Mbps, because there's downlink
on neighboring device with 100Mbps capacity (which can not do any QoS).

My question is, if we simply use LLQ on this switch's physical link (with
configured bandwidth command at 100Mbps) and not a shaper with it's LLQ,
and if the switch and the other device supports flow control which will
reduce traffic down to 100Mbps, will this flow control together with LLQ on
physical interface be enough to produce same result as if we were to
configure shaper at 100Mbps with LLQ?

I hope you understand what you mean.
Regards