[c-nsp] EIGRP potentially silly question...

Alex Pressé alex.presse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 00:14:31 EST 2014

You could create a second EIGRP process with a value for K2

router eigrp 2
 metric weights 0 1 1 1 0 0

Any identical routes in this second "new" instance of EIGRP will have a
higher metric than the original EIGRP process. And thusly will NOT be
installed in the routing table - provided they are *identical*.

This would allow you to build out the entire second EIGRP process without
it coming live uncontrolled.
Then you could selectively remove networks from the original EIGRP (or
manually increase them via offset lists). As they get removed from old
EIGRP the new EIGRP routes would automatically take over.

You're still left with the unfortunate part about the metric never actually
changing unless DUAL is triggered. And in my little bit of labbing this
past hour it appears that just because one side updated the metric; the
other side will *not* under certain circumstances.... So you can have two
routers having different loading values for the same link(s). Resulting in
asymmetric flows.

I bet somebody has made an EEM script to do "clear ip eigrp neighbors soft"
on an interval or interface loading thresholds. This would at least get it
to work "as intended".

All in all; fucking ugly. I just use default K values and a variance value
of 2 with some simple offset lists or bandwidth statements. Much easier to
support and troubleshoot at 03:15 during a vacation.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell at utc.edu> wrote:

> After a deployment of EIGRP with the intent of providing "link
> utilization based load-sharing" as opposed to round robin, I get the
> rude awakening that the default k-values for EIGRP do NOT include link
> utilization.
>
> Any shortcuts / workarounds / etc to resetting k-values site-wide
> without breaking each individual peering as the values are changed?
> (EIGRP won't peer with mismatched k-values...)
>
> Jeff

Alex Presse
"How much net work could a network work if a network could net work?"