[c-nsp] 6880-X XL vs. ASR

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon May 5 14:42:49 EDT 2014

On Monday, May 05, 2014 08:02:44 PM Alan Buxey wrote:

> But how is any of this any different not only to other
> virtual technologies (be they VLAN, MPLS, OTV etc)...

Virtualization in the data plane is relatively simple. As
you say, VLAN's, MPLS, and even others like IP, DWDM, e.t.c.

Trying to add virtualization to the control plane, while
finding kinky ways to share hardware at the same time, and
making software play a large part in that abstraction,
coupled with inevitable software bugs not only in
operational code, but also in code that aids the
virtualization abstraction itself, is simply too much brains
being requested of the solution.

If it breaks - not to be harsh - you get what you deserve.

There is no end in vendors trying to sell you the, "Your
network can run all of its services on one box" shpill - pay
no attention, unless you're my competitor, of course :-).

> but
> to the code that you all rely on from cisco for the
> other things that keep the network running (spanning
> tree, EIGRP, OSPF, FIBs etc) ?

You can't run an electrical device without a power cord.

The hardware is very expensive metal without the software to
give it value. So we can't run away from the code,
regardless of how bad it can sometimes be.

You quickly learn to develop skills in choosing software, as
well as the bugs you can live with. What we're saying is,
don't make your life any harder than it needs to be.

Mark.