[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1K ISG - ARP broadcast

Mihai Tanasescu mihai at duras.ro
Sat Nov 15 05:38:14 EST 2014

Hi all,

I come with a newbie but hopefully interesting question to you guys and
maybe there's a different solution than completely replacing the
hardware in question.
I have an ASR1K which functions as an ISG and which terminates the
Layer-2 path from customers.
It has DHCP relay configured and forwards to an external (Linux) DHCP
server.
The problem I have experienced lately consists in the classic effect of
a ping sweep on the whole subnet assigned on the ISG interface.
It triggers a "storm" of "arp who has <ip> tell <ip ISG> " messages that
I would like to limit/not see being emitted by the ISG.
I saw that this is quite possible on the ASR9k and that arp can be
disabled there relying solely on the existing session information but I
wonder if something similar is possible on the ASR1K ..or a workaround
that would fulfill the same purpose? (ISG not sending ARP "who has" for
IPs that have no active session with it)

Anyone have any ideas I might have missed?
 From what I have been reading in the docs I reached a dead-end with
this platform:(

Regards,
Mihai