[c-nsp] MPLS-AWARE NETFLOW

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Nov 20 02:22:48 EST 2014

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 08:53:56 AM Roland Dobbins
wrote:

> NetFlow is primarily of use at edges - peering edge,
> transit edge, customer aggregation edge, etc.  Why would
> you want to collect it from the core?  I can see (and
> advocate) having NetFlow enabled on core routers for
> interactive troubleshooting via the CLI, but why export
> it, when there's more value in exporting it from the
> edges?

A lot of people "consider" this option as a way to keep
costs down so as not to have to deploy too many licenses or
resources to support too many edge routers.

For me, this doesn't work for various reasons, not least of
which is despite decent commercial Netflow collectors claim
to have MPLS DPI support, your experience in a field
deployment actually varies or does not trend the data
sheets. But even more importantly, in a large scale network,
it is naive to think all traffic crosses the core, as there
can be quite a significant amount of edge-to-edge traffic
within a PoP that will never cross the core.

On the otherhand, many small-to-medium sized networks are
built to sell access to the Internet. So it is possible that
traffic will cross the core toward a border or peering
router.

Mark.