[c-nsp] Full Duplex

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Sat Nov 22 15:17:47 EST 2014

On 11/22/2014 11:43 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Saturday, November 22, 2014 02:16:23 AM Octavio Alvarez
> wrote:
>
>> If I found a vendor that did that, I would run away from
>> it for lying.
>
> But they all do that.
>
> What is more confusing is when vendors use half-duplex
> bandwidth to make a line card seem faster, e.g., a 30Gbps
> line card is sold as a 60Gbps if traffic flows in only one
> direction.

This is different.

A line card can support 60 Gbps of *processing power* if it can handle a
full-duplex 30 Gbps interface because it has to process all the data at
the same time in the worst case. This is correct. And so on: consider a
two full-duplex 30 Gbps port line card: it would need the necessary
power to handle 120 Gbps of data if you want it to not block or
oversubscribe.

It's not the same as selling a full-duplex 30 Gbps link as a 60 Gbps
link. This is incorrect.