[c-nsp] Cisco IIH padding

Vinny_Abello at Dell.com Vinny_Abello at Dell.com
Tue Nov 25 13:28:27 EST 2014

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

The first five IS-IS hellos are still padded to the full MTU size and subsequent hellos are not once the adjacency is formed... this is to detect MTU mismatches. If you cannot fix the MTU mismatch for some reason, you can also work around it by setting the clns mtu size to match on both sides which should also work. I would recommend setting the physical MTU of the interface to what is supported on the link, though. I'm not familiar with IOS-XE, but I know IOS-XR and IOS need to have their MTU's adjusted accordingly, which means they won't be the same numeric value. Someone more familiar with IOS-XE may know if this is also an issue or not.

-Vinny

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Alex K.
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:52 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Cisco IIH padding

Hello everybody,

Although I have “no hello padding” configured, the adjacency won't come up until I limit the CLNS MTU on some link in my network (there is an MTU issue on that link, it's not 1500).

As far as I remember, Cisco IOS implementation of IS-IS will *still send out first* IIHs padded, never mind I had “no hello padding” *configured*.
On the other hand, it seems like that isn't documented. Can anybody kindly point out for me (and probably, for the rest of the list) the correct documentation for that and if this is still relevant for modern IOS/IOS-XE versions?

 Thank you.