[c-nsp] ASR vs 6807

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Thu Nov 27 08:30:00 EST 2014

What should we recommend to our customers Maserati or Ferrari - they both have a Ferrari engine inside though the price difference is huge.
These types of questions might seem simple but they rather invoke more questions than answers...
I guess most of the times the decision factor is to get the biggest bang for the smallest buck - with the smallest buck part being the most important from the two.
And I guess the most difficult part is to define what bang is expected as customers don't now (and don't really need to know) what are all the ways to skin the cat in other words to implement a given service.
So that leads back to you and your expertise and what do you think would be beneficial for the customer.

You mentioned VPLS -so does the customer have several DCs and would like to setup any-to-any type of connectivity between them via L2 or more like hub and spoke or maybe even p2p type of connectivity between the DCs please?
By "VPLS" do you mean the legacy Cisco VPLS per se or VPLS as a LAN emulation over the MPLS (MEF: EP-LAN/EVP-LAN) type of service please that could be realized by a pure VPLS or PBB-VPLS or EVPN or PBB-EVPN?
What are their expectations regarding redundancy/load-sharing/fast failure recovery please?
Any expectations of excessive BUM traffic between the DCs please?
How many MAC addresses are expected in this setup please any massive VM moves between the DCs expected?

ASR9k supports many technologies that C6800 will probably never have since these boxes are positioned differently.
Both ASR9k and C6800 were meant as L3 switch the selection of one over the other should be based on the educated customer expectations met with the project budget.

adam