[c-nsp] (no subject)

Vincent C Jones v.jones at networkingunlimited.com
Wed Oct 8 08:48:08 EDT 2014

The way I've dealt with this in the past (a trick I learned from Barry)
is to ask for full routes (and no default), filter out ALL prefixes
except for those of associated with a few far away root name servers,
and then generate a default conditional on reachability of at least one
name server. It gets a little ugly, because you need to ensure you only
generate the default if the route to the name servers is through your
upstream, which means that all BGP routers in your AS must not pass on
those prefixes plus you have to keep track on an ongoing basis of
changes in the prefixes containing the root name servers or their IP
address.

Disclaimer: Have not tested this approach with IPv6 because I retired
before I had any clients who cared :-] but I've used it with IPv4 since
the days of 2501 routers.

Vince