[c-nsp] Cisco recommendation for distribution layer campus network

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sun Sep 28 15:11:15 EDT 2014

On 9/28/14 11:53 AM, Randy Manning wrote:
> Chassis vs 1u layer 3 switches for distribution layer on campus network
>
> This is my first post. I have used stack switches for access layer and nexus vpc in data center. Why is cisco proposing nexus for distribution layer?
> To eliminate spanning tree
> Vpc still needs hsrp, why not a stack solution?
>
> I am used to chassis and was wanting pro cons

Stack switches leaves you vulnerable to a single-typo outage, or even a
single software crash outage.  VPC has its risks, but at least leaves
one device up while the other recovers.

Software upgrades can be real tricky on the stack devices too. Doing it
by the book on a 3750X often means 35+ minutes of no-packet-forwarding.
The missed heartbeats while you hope the stack returns are potentially
reason enough to go with VPC. ;)

pt