[c-nsp] Peer pointing default route to us

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Sep 30 05:57:25 EDT 2014

On 30/09/2014 10:35, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2014-09-30 10:49 +0200), Lukas Tribus wrote:
>> I don't see how that is supposed to scale.
>
> Generate prefix-list from as-set, deploy.

this works fine for smaller peers.  For larger ones, it doesn't work so
well.  Having said that, larger peers tend not to point default at other
networks

> Depending how high quality your as-set is, it might not. In RIPE area we can
> reasonably expect to have perfect AS-SET information from our customer (and
> ask them to fix mistakes during activation). I know in ARIN area such
> expectation is not reasonable at all.

no, you can't expect perfect information in the RIPE DB due to
RIPE-NCC-RPSL-MNT.  Even for fully grandfathered native objects, you can
only expect reasonable compliance.  The level of compliance depends on how
extensive the as-set is.  Once the customer starts pulling in third party
as-sets, then mandating compliance becomes more difficult.  Having said
that, the quality of the data in the ripe irrdb is far better than any of
the other irrdbs.

Nick