[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Mattias Gyllenvarg mattias at gyllenvarg.se
Thu Apr 23 03:56:21 EDT 2015

Regarding what replaces the ME3800

Was looking around the Cisco labyrinth and saw that the "big" RSP for the
ASR 903 has 144Mb buffers and relatively interesting possibilities
regarding interfaces.
Assuming feature parity this would be a nice upgrade. Not to bad price, but
some wierd limitation on card positions.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 9:16 PM, CiscoNSP List <cisconsp_list at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > I've just resigned to the fact that there are some thing which will
> > never make it to the ME3600X/3800X, for reasons unknown. On the back of
> > the ASR920, I doubt much effort is going to be expended on the
> > ME3600X/3800X any longer.
> >
> > We'd all do well to start deploying ASR920 in the coming few years.
> >

> Hi Mark - Given Cisco's push(Well recommendation) on the ASR920 vs
> ME3600...have you heard any rumours on a "new" ASR900 that will be
> replacing the ME3800?
>
> The buffer space disparity(ASR920 v ME3600) still really confuses me...why
> would Cisco do this? If they increase the number of supported VPLS/PW/QOS
> etc instances on the ASR920, and recommend it as a replacement to the
> ME3600, why would they reduce the buffer on the ASR920(And significantly
> so)?
>
> I really want to get my hands on one and test the buffers out...see if
> there are drops v's ME3600..
>
> Cheers for all the imput...it's been extremely valuable.

*Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards*
*Mattias Gyllenvarg*