[c-nsp] BGP doesn't advertise prefixes

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 10:34:46 EDT 2015

On 30/04/15 15:27, Samol wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Just issued that command. (3,4,10) do not contain the peer we want to
> advertise out. Basically, we do the same config as other peers, but it
> doesn't advertise out. More to this,  we got few prefixes, only one of

Well, something about the peer is different, otherwise it would be in
the same update group (well, likely to be in the same update-group - I
suspect it's not guaranteed).

I am thinking config rather than bug here. You'll need to pick through
the peer configs and try and determine why. The other replies to the
thread contain some good info.

It's not AS loop protection or something simple? Are you sure the
outbound route-maps aren't matching on the communities or some other
route attribute?

In extreme, you could:

debug bgp all updates <peerIP>

...and related debug commands, but obviously be very careful with this
on a production box or on a peer with large numbers of routes; it could
destroy the control plane.

> them can be advertised out via this peer, but not the rest though they
> got the same rule applied. Even weird that this one prefix that can be
> advertised to this peer can't be advertised to other peers like (3, 4,
> 10).  I really don't know what's going to do next beside thinking of
> reload the device and upgrade the ios and not sure what version to
> upgrade to.

Latest on your current train or 15.1SY for 6500; there's really no
reason to be reticent, current released trains are reasonably stable IME.

But I strongly suspect it's not a software bug.

Maybe engage TAC if you can't progress it?

Cheers,
Phil