[c-nsp] asr1k looking for advice on packet capturing

Bryan Tabb bryan.tabb at nztechnologygroup.com
Mon Aug 3 23:45:22 EDT 2015

Hi

Is it possible to use the embedded packet capture to capture traffic that is just getting bridged through a service instance?

I've got an ASR1k that gets packets with 3 vlan tags in one interface, 2 tags are popped, 1 is pushed and it pops out another interface where the layer 3 stuff happens.

On the physical interface config looks something like below.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3
mtu 1600
no ip address
negotiation auto
service instance 10 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 10 second-dot1q 20
  rewrite ingress tag pop 2 symmetric
  bridge-domain 10
!
service instance 11 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 10 second-dot1q 30
  rewrite ingress tag pop 2 symmetric
  bridge-domain 11
!

I've used the EPC before on sub interface and other IP interfaces but when I run the below to try and capture just ICMP nothing is captured into the buffer.
The reason for the ICMP filter is there is around 350 Mbps running through the physical interface and didn't think it could handle capturing everything.

conf t
ip access-list ext acl-capture
permit icmp any any
exit
monitor capture mycap access-list acl-capture
monitor capture mycap buffer size 20
monitor capture mycap interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3 both
monitor capture mycap start

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan