[c-nsp] cat 6800 performance mode

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 09:41:51 EST 2015

On 17/12/15 14:32, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Its odd that they seem to only have 1M IPV4 routes in the 6800/6500
> and the N7k but not the N9K.

Well, the N9k is largely merchant silicon (remember when Cisco said that
was bad? It's good now apparently...) whereas the 68/6500 and N7k are
Cisco ASICs (EARL7/8). From what I've seen - though I don't claim
expertise - the merchant devices tend to have tiny tables by comparison.

Certainly some of the N9k and other bcm-based platforms have too-low
numbers of adjacencies, sub-/64 v6 routes and similar, for me to feel
comfortable with.