[c-nsp] Non Cisco SFP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Feb 2 07:06:59 EST 2015

And why is that?

We have many non-cisco optics deployed without trouble.

I would avoid the cheapest-of-the-cheap optics, as those have been rumored to have trouble, slow i2c responses, or other issues that the software is poorly coded to handle.

We’ve done this with SFP, XFP, SFP+ and CFP without issues.

Do you have details of what your issues were Warren?  I’ve had more issues with Cisco optics in Cisco than non-Cisco optics in Cisco.

- jared