[c-nsp] ME3600/M3800 BGP Limits

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:56:07 EST 2015

Hi All,

This Cisco page states that both the ME3600 and ME3800 have a max
limit of 100 BGP sessions irrelevant of license:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15-3_3_S/release/notes/ol29977.html#43004

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15-3_3_S/release/notes/ol29977.html#66855

What does that mean exactly? Does it mean 100 BGP sessions can be
active in any one given address family, or across all
address-families? Does it mean that  more than 100 can be defined in
the case of inactive neighbours but only 100 established neighbours
are allowed? Or somethign else?

Is it perhaps not a hard coded limit but just a recommendation?

I am looking at an example PE in a private WAN made from many 3600's
and 3800's running 15.3(3)S. "show bgp all summary" tells me that
there are 83 established IPv4 BGP neighbours with which routes are
being exchanged (this WAN has a full iBGP mesh for MPLS-TE, no IPv6).

"show bgp all summary" show's me the same 83 IP addresses as active
under the VPNv4 section becasue there are the loopsbacks of all the
other PEs in the WAN.

However under the VPNv4 section of "show bgp all summary" I am also
shown all the CPEs peering with this example PE. There are 72 active
CPE facing BGP session (terminated into various different customer
VRFs).

So under "show bgp all summary" I am actaully shown a list of 155
established BGP neighbours with which routes are being exchange, they
are not in stuck in Idle or Active etc (this list is longer if you
includes those!) so what is the 100 BGP session limit *exactly*?

Cheers,
James.