[c-nsp] NDE Sup720-3BXL and 3CXL with Andrisoft WanGuard

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 11:32:54 EST 2015

On 27/01/15 16:12, John Brown wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Couple of quick questions..
>
> Can the 65xx with SUP720-3BXL or 3CXL support netflow rates that are
> not sampled rates ??
> At present we are doing a sample rate of 1024, and I'm wondering if we
> can reduce that to get finer resolution and if that will  a)
> negatively impact the box, b) really get us anything...
> The box is used for routing and managing BGP transit / peering connections.

Sup720 netflow sampling takes places after the netflow is collected, not
before. So, you still burn the same amount of netflow TCAM, and are just
throwing data away before exporting it, not collecting.

It might not be that useful to sample on that platform.

Sup2T and onwards support sampling at collection time, which is what
people usually want when they're sampling. No idea if it works properly
- never tried it.