[c-nsp] ME3600 iBGP to RR

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 10:17:22 EST 2015

Hi Aaron,

The whole trick where carrier's carrier routers don't need to know the customer's carrier routes is realised via seamless label switched path being built between the customer's carrier ASBRs.
As you can see that would require customers to enable MPLS on their routers.
So this model is/was used to provide service to MPLS providers the so called "customer carriers" so that they could extend their networks.
Nowadays however L2 E-LINE/E-LAN services are preferred in cases where customers or customer carriers for that matter wants/needs to be independent of carriers routing.

adam