[c-nsp] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: ASR902 vs ME3800X

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Tue Mar 24 03:34:34 EDT 2015

On 23.03.2015 22:37, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 01:22:59PM -0600, Tim Densmore wrote:
>> how it's the upgrade path from an me3800x?  I can see that they have
>> similar stats in some areas, but I'm having a hard time with the idea of
>> a router being the next step up from a switch, especially given that
>> we're looking at a quote that's around 4x less than what we have for
>> 3800s.
> When comparing prices, don't overlook the licenses - from what I could
> find, the 920 is pay-as-you-grow, so you need an extra license to use
> all ports.
True, but checking the price list, you'll find that buying the full
license as a bundle option on the initial box will run less than a
partial license later on ... (full license is 1k$, upgrades later will
run 1.5k$ or more IIRC)

We're currently working on our core/backbone/PE upgrade of our 4 core
sites, and after some thinking and planning, as well as a call to our $C
technical support, have decided to go with 903's (albeit single RSP for
now, but dual box per site) as core devices, and 920-12 for the PE /MPLS
aggregation device. Other $C devices fell short in either missing
features (mostly), or way to pricey for our size and requirements.
As for the 920, we were really surprised they were as cheap as they are
... for a "fully loaded" 920-12CZ box with Advanced Metro IP Access
license and license for all 12 1G and 2 10G ports (base only comes with
license for 6 1G ports), the list price adds up to 8K$ ... 3800 series
are way beyond that ...

-garry