[c-nsp] Internet in VRF

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Sun May 3 17:07:13 EDT 2015

+1 for Internet in a VRF.

I've deployed this sort of setup for a number of operators. Definitely
allows for much greater flexibility when it comes to services - everyone
had to run something more then just 'internet' to the sites (management,
corporate network, sometimes private VPNs). Not to mention the fact that
the global table only has to contain the links and loopbacks. It also
allows for easy separation of peerings in multi-lateral exchanges (when the
IX has own RRs to peer with) - separating those into VRFs makes sure no
ones can just use the network for transit. I always kept one 'Internet'
table that contained all transit providers and customers which required a
full table. Peering exchanges - VRF per exchange, customers that only
require a default route - into another (single) VRF. On top of that VRFs
for things like cache clusters, CDNs etc. A lot of that could be done using
'classical' methods, but I think using L3VPN makes this much easier to
manage. This internet could easily be provided out of low spec boxes (7200,
ME3600X, ASR903) using exactly the same method, even in unified-MPLS
topologies.
If the number of labels is a problem - most platforms can do label per vrf
or label per CE - that helps greatly.

kind regards
Pshem