[c-nsp] BGP Address-Family

Mohammad Khalil eng_mssk at hotmail.com
Wed May 13 06:20:48 EDT 2015

Thanks Adam

BR,
Mohammad

From: Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
To: eng_mssk at hotmail.com; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] BGP Address-Family
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 07:49:34 +0000

> Mohammad Khalil

> Sent: 13 May 2015 07:57

> Hi all

> I have a question regarding BGP

> I have MPLS network consisting of several P and PE routers with VPNv4

> address-family in place

> The default behavior for BGP is that it will establish a neighbor by default

> under the ipv4 address-family

> I do not have any ipv4 prefixes advertised on these routers

> I can disable this behavior by no bgp default ipv4-unicast , but my question is

> if the router is already running , will the default behavior of BGP will affect

> resources?

> Thanks

Hi Mohammad,

If you are not advertising any prefixes via the IPv4 AF then no additional resources are consumed.

At your current stage it's a mere capability being negotiated over the common TCP session.

However If you now decide to disable it at either end the TCP session will reset affecting your VPNv4 prefixes.

adam