[c-nsp] 7600 upgrade recommendations?

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Sun May 17 15:04:03 EDT 2015

I would upgrade the Sup720-3BXLs to RSP720-3CXL with additional ram at the location you are going to take full tables.
If you aren't running 7609S then you would need chassis upgrades which might push you a different direction.

Honestly I would upgrade you border connected routers and leave 7600s at other sites.
I am assuming that you have a single site that actually receives transit.
The ASR1006, should give you good service as a border with ESP40 and SIP40 cards.
The core functionality where you connect to the border routers (I assume you have 2 for redundancy),
Should be capable of doing full tables if you are going to be running full tables.
Honestly you may be better off just accepting customer routes and pruning a lot of the routes out.
Unless your customers are insisting on full tables you could survive quite a while on the 7600 series.

There are really too many ways to skin this to do it without a consultant.

The questions you need to ask are:
1) Do you need full tables (I mean really), if you do then prepare for 9010s.
2) How resilient is your current design (do you need to install redundancy).
3) How many 10G circuits will you be supporting in 18 to 36 months.
4) Do you need full tables everywhere (sites that don't are probably fine with 7600s).

For point four, remember that full table sites cannot transit non-full table sites without
some serious risks unless you use MPLS or some other tunneling protocol so that they never
see the non-full table sites.

Mack McBride | Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.
O: 720.891.2502 | mack.mcbride at viawest.com | www.viawest.com | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube