[c-nsp] syslog using hostname - IOS

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Wed May 27 11:39:01 EDT 2015

Does this defeat the purpose of dns ?  I mean if I want to use a hostname
for my syslog so that If I ever want to change the ip address of my syslog
server, it seems that this would break since IOS is apparently resolving the
name to a number and then putting the number in the config

Is there a way to stop IOS from changing the name to a number and leave the
name in the config ?

eng-lab-3600-1(config)#

eng-lab-3600-1(config)#do sh run | in logg

logging source-interface Loopback0

logging host 254.254.14.243

eng-lab-3600-1(config)#

eng-lab-3600-1(config)#logg host swsyslog.abc.com

eng-lab-3600-1(config)#

eng-lab-3600-1(config)#do sh run | in logg

logging source-interface Loopback0

logging host 254.254.14.243

logging host 254.254.14.56

eng-lab-3600-1(config)#^Z