[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus as MetroE switch?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Oct 16 08:58:14 EDT 2015

On 16/Oct/15 14:26, Phil Mayers wrote:

> In hindsight, I would not buy the N7k for the role we're using them in
> for exactly this reason - nothing related to hardware or NX-OS, and
> entirely related to BU focus and ability to get a TAC engineer with
> both product knowledge and functional area knowledge.

I generally stick to whatever the initial design goal of the platform
was, despite any morphing that may happen later on.

That means; 6500, Nexus, Juniper EX are all switches. Even though their
IP/MPLS capability improves over the years, I'll never touch them for that.

Similarly, ASR9000, Juniper MX; all have Ethernet switching
capabilities, despite being IP/MPLS boxes. I'd never use them as core
switches (even though the features are there).

Mark.