[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus as MetroE switch?

Nathan Ward cisco-nsp at daork.net
Mon Oct 19 04:56:42 EDT 2015

> On 19/10/2015, at 19:29, CiscoNSP List <CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nathan - Can you please elaborate on the 920/MPLS issues under load(What load did you see the issue? CPU, PPS, Throughput?), and what IOS you were running?
>
> We've purchased a bunch of these (None deployed as yet), and they will be used for MPLS/VRF/VPLS/PW duties.....i.e. our "new"  ME3600

Hi,

Image: asr920-universalk9_np.03.15.00.S.155-2.S-std.bin
Hardware: ASR-920-4SZ-A

The ASR920 seemed to transmit packets, but not receive them. It was connected to ASR9001s (as in plural, not -S) which could see the 920 as a CDP neighbour, but the ASR920 couldn’t see the ASR9001.

The topology was that the ASR920 had two 10G MPLS interfaces each going to a different ASR9001. The other two 10G interfaces were to a backhaul provider who gave us 802.1q tagged frames that we mapped 1:1 in to pseudowires.

Both ASR9001-facing MPLS interfaces dropped traffic at the same time. It could have been an ASR9001 bug, but it seems unlikely we’d hit it on both at the same time, and twice within a few days. We’ve used the same interfaces on those ASR9001s for MPLS before, no problem.

No packet drop counters or anything like that on the ASR920.

We had some VLANs from each backhaul 10G going to pseudowires which went via ASR9001-a and some via ASR9001-b, which was the point of the box. We elected to remove the ASR920 and plug the backhaul links directly in to the ASR9001s for now and have them cross over further up. It’s not really what we want long term, but it’ll do in a pinch.

TAC weren’t sure about it, and we weren’t prepared to debug much more, so their only suggestion was maybe it was a bad unit and to RMA it, so we’ve done that. I don’t think we’ll want to risk putting them in to that role again as these faults were pretty widely impacting - the particular area of the network is an interface to a 3rd party provider and we don’t have automatic redundancy there right at the minute. We have some other places that are less important that they can be used, so we’ll do that and see how they go there.

--
Nathan Ward