[c-nsp] 6VPE on 7600 RSP720 3CXL

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 04:55:57 EDT 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 13:32, krunal shah <krun.shah at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi NSPs,
>
> Is any one doing 6VPE and importing full IPv4 and IPv6 routes in same VRF?
>
> I am planning to implement full IPv6 and IPv4 routes in same VRF that is
> used for internet service and other PE routers would only get subset or
> default routes. Suip has 4 GB of memory, My 1M TCAM space is carved with
>
> FIB TCAM maximum routes :
> =======================
> Current :-
> -------
>  IPv4                - 768k
>  MPLS                - 16k (default)
>  IPv6 + IP Multicast - 120k (default)

We are not doing this on any 7600 's but will be shortly so we'll
start testing soon. Our 7600's are being bumped up to 15.3(3)S6, all
running with RSP720-3XCL-10GE's and the TCAMs will be repartitioned,
this will then hopefully see them out until they are decomissioned.

The TCAMs need reallocating as they are currently carrying a lot of
VPNv4 routes as well as the full IPv4 table and 6VPE was not
envisioned, however your partitioning of the TCAM seems a litte too
favourable for IPv6 for our needs;

FIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
 IPv4 + MPLS         - 960k (default)
 IPv6                - 16k
 IP Multicast        - 16k

FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
 72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)       983040      658740     67%

I will probably aim for 60k IPv6 routes, so it's enough to phase out
the boxes and that's it. Be careful that these boxes will start to CPU
switch packets before you run out of TACM. When you see these logs
you're in trouble;

%MLSCEF-SP-4-FIB_EXCEPTION_THRESHOLD: Hardware CEF entry
 usage is at 95% capacity for IPv4 unicast protocol

%MLSCEF-DFC4-7-FIB_EXCEPTION: FIB TCAM exception, Some
 entries will be software switched

%MLSCEF-SP-7-FIB_EXCEPTION: FIB TCAM exception, Some
 entries will be software switched

Cheers,
James.