[c-nsp] Advanced use of mrtg

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Oct 22 01:04:23 EDT 2015

Mark Tinka wrote:

> > The process will require 259 MiB more space.
> > 47 MiB to be downloaded.
> > #
>
> So what's the problem? You can't find 259MB of space, or don't have
> enough bandwidth to download the 47MB?
>
> You'll probably need more space than that to hold all your RRD files as
> they grow,

That reminds me :-) mrtg databases are compact files in plain text
format which is nice too.

> so not sure what the issue is if the installation is being
> automated for you.

Never mind, I am not here to start a flame. Thank you and Mike for
recommending Cacti, I can easily find a jail or a dedicated virtual
host for it, with all its dependencies, if it's worth while.

It's just my old school misgivings about the dependency hell. Am I
getting old-fashioned? If you already run Gnome or something like this
on your Unix servers, then you of course don't care if a score of
extra packages are automatically installed for you (which is the case
with my FreeBSD desktop, but still not with the servers).

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru