[c-nsp] Bandwidth shaping/limiting

Dan Brisson dbrisson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:27:25 EDT 2015

I'm hoping to get some feedback on how to limit/shape bandwidth for
customers in a co-lo environment.  Currently customers are connected to
Cisco 3750 switches at either 10, 100, or 1Gig depending on what they
purchase for commodity Internet bandwidth.  The 10 and 100 is fine but
customers are allowed to purchase in increments between 100Meg and
1Gig.  So because of that, if a customer purchased 300Mb/s, it would be
nice to limit their physical gig port to capping out at 300Mb/s.

I know the 3750 line has some shaping capability, but I'm not sure it
can do what I want.  And further I'm not sure if it has the buffer space
to do what I want.

Can someone confirm or deny the capabilities the Catalyst 3750 line with
respect to this situation.  And if the 3750 cannot do what I need, what
should I look at in the Cisco line?  Would the ME line of switches be
more appropriate.

Thanks!