[c-nsp] ASR920 vs ISR4000

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 03:23:42 EDT 2015

Hi Michael,

Both of those options are quite probably overkill for what you've described. If a 2811 is currently doing what you need in the deployment and the only change is an increase in speed, just go with the next step up. For what you've described a 2911 would easily fit what you want and I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than either ISR4000 or ARS920. Depends whether you want something new and shiny or something that will just get the job done. If you want to purchase a router now for some future upgrade, then you'd have to take a stab at what you think the upgrade might be and when you think it might happen and then purchase something that you think might be sufficient for that.

Our current rollout guidelines (internally) suggest 2911 is good for around 120-150mbps. For up to 250-300mbps we use 3925. Anything higher speed than that is evaluated individually.

Best of luck with your upgrade :)

regards,
Tony.