[c-nsp] ip device tracking on IOS-XE

Sebastian Beutel sebastian.beutel at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Aug 9 12:50:28 EDT 2016

Hi Antoine,

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 09:24:55AM +0200, Antoine Monnier wrote:
> try this under every interface:
>  nmsp attachment suppress
> (yeah I know... does not seem related in anyway to IP device tracking but
> it does turn it off for us)

Even after reading the sparse documentation i can't figure out what this
does. May i aks where did you get the suggestion to this?

> or better, upgrade do a more recent release? it seems 3.6.2aE has it
> disabled by default (Cat 3850)

On the particular switch i had 03.07.03E running. Because 03.06.05E is
currently the suggested release i rolled back to this version and what
happend? A "no ip device tracking" i global config mode seems to succeed
but actually does nothing at all: A "sho ip device tracking" makes clear,
that it's still running.

Best,
   Sebastian.

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Sebastian Beutel <
> sebastian.beutel at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> >     we ran into trouble with the ip device tracking feature that seems to
> > be
> > enabled by default on devices running ios-xe. There's allready a trouble
> > shooting guide:
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/8021x/116529-
> > problemsolution-product-00.html
> >
> > As ip device tracking is disabled by default on most of our devices anyway
> > (those running ios) my first idea was to just disable it globaly. But even
> > though command line completion and online help knows about "no ip device
> > tracking <cr>" and a global line "ip device tracking" shows up in sho run
> > all, i get an error message saying: "IP device tracking is disabled at the
> > interface level by removing the relevant configs".
> >
> > Next thing is, that no "relevant config" appears in "sho run all" on an
> > interface level. There are only globaly lines. And if i try to do a
> > "no ip device tracking" on a single interface i get the exact same error
> >  message.
> >
> > But it get's wilder: If i use one of the suggestions of the above link and
> > type a "ip device tracking probe delay 10" on just a single interface, the
> > command goes through without an error. The result is, that again no
> > corresponding configuration shows up on the interface but the global line
> > is
> > now changed and a "show ip device tracking all" reveals:
> >
> > Global IP Device Tracking Probe Delay Interval = 10
> >
> > Any ideas how that makes sense? How to disable device tracking globaly? For
> > what use device tracking could be beneficial anyway?
> >
> > Best,
> >    Sebastian.

Dipl.-Ing. Sebastian Beutel                              tel: +49-711-685-64538
Rechenzentrum Universitaet Stuttgart        http://www.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/nks
Netze und Kommunikationssysteme              Allmandring 30A, D-70550 Stuttgart