[c-nsp] L2PT over VPLS/VPWS between ME3600X and ASR920 (one for Warris?)

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:44:56 EDT 2016

Something to add to this is that the ASR920 won't allow me to
configure "forward permit l2protocol all" under the VFI when making a
manual VPLS style config:

l2 vfi VLAN-2047 manual
 vpn id 2047
 bridge-domain 2047
 forward permit l2protocol all
 neighbor 10.0.0.11 2047 encapsulation mpls
% % Command rejected - BPDU pseudowire config not allowed

Maybe I was wrong and L2 BPDUs can only be forwarded over MPLS on
ASR920 when using port based pseudowires, but I thought it was
supported.

This doc for the ASR903 indicates it would work on an ASR903:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_l2_vpns/configuration/xe-3s/asr903/mp-l2-vpns-xe-3s-asr903-book/mp-hvpls-npe-red-mpls-access.html#d18808e286a1635

I have found this doc for an ASR920 which looks like it was copy and
pasted from the ASR903 page, so it gives the impression the above
config that has failed is supported for the ASR920:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/configuration/guide/mpls/mp-l2-vpns-xe-3s-asr920-book/mp-hvpls-npe-red-mpls-access.html#d16347e289a1635

However it then goes on to configure the "SVI" using "interface vlan
xxx" but since the ASR920s use bridge domain interfaces and not switch
virtual interfaces, that page is flat out wrong and I have to assume
it's copy and pasted from the ASR903 page, so the documentation is
wrong :(

Cheers,
James.