[c-nsp] NCS-5001 - MPLS L3VPN Issue

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Feb 3 08:29:11 EST 2016

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Yeah I don't like Service Packs, I think it's better to cherry pick only SMUs that are relevant to bugs that you might run into.
> And there's always a danger of reintroduction of bugs e.g. a SMU fixes recent bug but reintroduces bug that was fixed by some older SMU.

I have spent a non-trivial amount of time going through SMUs and testing
upgrades. Considering that Cisco do not do testing of SMUs in any-to-any
configuration, I am a big proponent of SPs, where the SP is properly
tested, and contains all rollup bug fixes.

I've run into issues where two SMUs didn't work together, and when I
complained I received the answer that this was never tested. I've also run
into issues where all SMUs couldn't be applied together, requiring two
reboots to apply all SMUs.

So... again, big proponent of properly tested SRs instead of SMU-hell.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se