[c-nsp] transport path-mtu-discovery - ME3600....too unpredictable to use?

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Wed Feb 24 08:48:15 EST 2016

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:27 AM, Nick Cutting <ncutting at edgetg.co.uk> wrote:
>

> So the MSS will never change while the session stays up, however the IP MTU may fluctuate, but is always aware of the upper layers maximum segment size ? (and the lower layers link mtu)

It depends what you mean by this.

If you are asking whether the sender and receiver exchange MSS information after TCP establishment, I would say no.

However, if I understand this correctly, both sender and receiver will have their own internal representation of MTU and MSS (however this is done) and they will track this based on the returned PMTUD messages how to adjust the size of the packets that can be sent to the destination.

-- Andrew