[c-nsp] switch for SAN

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Fri Jan 8 16:46:46 EST 2016

On 9/01/2016 3:53 AM, Chuck Church wrote:
> What are your needs?  10GE?  Layer 3 capable?  There are a lot of small
> Cisco switches.  The main difference between the 3650 and 3850 is the
> wireless controller thing to my knowledge.  Not really beneficial to a SAN
> switch.  Since Cisco tends to not publish buffer sizes for a lot of these
> small switches, it's a bit of a guess.  The 2960X are decent for a lot of
> purposes, maybe SAN.  That's just a guess though.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/qa_c67-729531.html

As of 3.7.1E the 3650 supports the same number of AP's (50) as the 3850.

If you only need a standalone switch or one with limited stacking
capabilities and no need to change uplink modules, then the 3650 is much
better value than a 3850.

Definitely more suited to the task than a 2960X.

Reuben