[c-nsp] Interface drops

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Sat Jan 9 14:44:07 EST 2016

Hi,

> Now, 14482944 of 548164331323 packets is a mere 0.002%... Hence - should
> this be a cause of concern?

well yes - that amount of drops leads to huge hit in network performance for eg TCP applications

https://fasterdata.es.net/network-tuning/tcp-issues-explained/packet-loss/

> #sh int po7
> Port-channel7 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
>   Hardware is EtherChannel, address is 001c.b1e8.9627 (bia 001c.b1e8.9627)
>   Members in this channel: Gi2/0/38 Gi2/0/39 Gi2/0/40

3 members? not a good number for Cisco etherchannel

> Again, here we have a bit more, sitting at 4.592%

ouch.

whats downstream of these devices?  got flow-control?   if you have no QoS the byffer space on the platform should
be enough for that amount of traffic MB/s- but what type of traffic is it being used by NFS - big packets?   have you enabled
jumbo frames on the links?

> I did bench the servers, and locally on the servers (without using the
> network), I do get SIGNIFICANTLY better performance (like 10 x increase)...

packet loss can cause this massive degradation - see above link

alan