[c-nsp] lack of snmp parity with cli

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 14 09:43:46 EST 2016

On 14 January 2016 at 01:04, Andrew Miehs <andrew at 2sheds.de> wrote:
>> I absolutely love doing in scripts SSH exec channel for 'cli-command |
>> display xml' and get something parseable out, without resorting to
>> fragile screen-scraping.
>
> Thats what I thought too, but then you find out that Juniper changes
> the XML structure between versions. :(

Luckily I've not been bitten by this thus far. And I guess this is
something that is quite easy to test in lab before rolling new
release.

Do you have practical example handy? Does the schema somehow indicate
that it has been changed? Like is version number different? I.e. can
you run-time determine 'oops, this is not the schema I'm expecting'?.

I'm usually not very sensitive to breaking stuff backwards. I
understand that crap needs to be cleaned up. And I'll much rather have
that vendors are brave and fix things, instead of increase complexity
by adding awkward patches.
However it would be highly desirable that operator has some idea when
to expect breaking stuff and when not to.

--
  ++ytti